Monday, May 22, 2006

Just what the doctor ordered

Since I was having so much trouble with pain, my doctor sent me this email:

"Please consider not using any narcotics. Narcotics used pretty regularly in some folks rapidly lose their effectiveness and some may actually have more pain than if the meds are not used. Use of Neurontin (gabapentin) 300mg 4 times a day in combination with Tylenol when you have pain may provide better pain relief in folks who do not get relief from narcotics. Sometimes, regular use of Narcotics actually increases pain called "opiate induced neuropathic pain". For these pts, sometimes just stopping narcotics and using only Tylenol may help. Adding Neurontin(gabapentin) makes a lot of difference."

So he prescribed the Gabapentin for me and Jason picked it up for me Sunday afternoon. I read the little info sheet they give you with the meds and it says:" This medicine is used to treat seizures in epileptics and to stave off nerve pain on patients with herpes zoster (shingles). " This info scared me a little and I didn't want to take it. But I decided to go for it this morning when I took my Tylenol. About 30 minutes later, I experienced a very heavy headed feeling with major dizziness and focusing problems. I asked the nurse about this and she said, that's normal...at least I wasn't hurting! I'm still feeling the effects of that drug as I type this. It's very strange. I don't know which I prefer, the pain or the loopiness...

I was able to take a shower this morning by myself, shave my legs, wash my hair. I felt so good after that shower. Up to this day, I had taken two bubble baths, and Jason had washed my hair in the kitchen sink twice. I was able to cook the kids some mac and cheese for lunch and I have just been putzing around the house, not really doing anything. The nurse told me specifically not to do any housework but no more bed rest. The more I move, the better I will feel. But I am so sleepy from that drug. It is a conscious effort to keep my eyes open.

I suppose I have made a great stride in recovery today, at least I feel like I can handle being out of bed, even if I am majorly tired and dizzy. I hope that very soon, I won't need any pain meds at all.

One horrible effect of taking pain meds is that you get constipated. Dealing with that is another post all by itself.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

WOW, I can't believe it has already been a week since surgery! Well, hopefully the "new" combination of pain meds will work better. Do you continue with the loopiness, or does your body get used to the new doseage?
Our prayers have been with you -thankfully you are still heading in the upward direction. Lots of love - N & K

My Page

Powered By Blogger